Baltics - 18 June 2012 (3)

Aglona

Aglona Basilica
We joined the ranks of the great and good and stopped to visit the Aglona Basilica.  This is a Catholic church and monastery and site of an annual pilgrimage.
Holy Spring of Aglona
It was constructed next to a famous spring which was once claimed to have healing powers, until the structure of the water changed.  I tried some of the water, but it didn’t work, not that I had anything which needed curing.

White Wagtail, Aglona
As I walked to the lake next to the site, I found that my path was blocked by a flood.  There was no way round as the grass was full of water too.  Just as I realised I would have to turn back, a white wagtail came down to drink.

Lake Aglonas
Wild Flowers, Lake Aglonas
The walk to the lake was worth it as it was very picturesque with water lilies and a large family of tiny ducklings.  I walked right round the basilica before heading back to the bus.  Those people who had been inside said that it was full of wooden scaffolding and didn’t seem that impressed.

No response to “Baltics - 18 June 2012 (3)”

Post a Comment