Baltics - 15 June 2012 (4)

Evening in Kaunas

We dumped our bags and soon set off for the restaurant: "Bernelių užeiga" on K. Donelaičio gatvėje.  This was a traditional Lithuanian style restaurant, a short walk down from the hotel.  It was styled as a log cabin.  The waiters and waitresses wore traditional costume and the interior was very quaint.

Dinner, Bernelių smuklėje, Kaunas
Dinner, Bernelių smuklėje, Kaunas
Aija had been telling us about the local specialities, so we decided to try them.  I had potato pancakes and the others had cepellinis.  May and I had beetroot soup first and Flo and Sue bravely tried the pigs ear.  Sue said she liked it and I liked the soup, but no one liked the cepellinis and my pancakes were far too greasy to eat all of them.  I finished the meal with a lemon and ginger tea, which was very good and took the taste of the grease away.  My bill came to LTL20.50.  As we had taken so long to finish our meal, they wouldn’t give us separate bills.  I probably made myself unpopular because I wanted us to pay for what we had eaten rather than splitting the bill equally.  I knew mine would come to well below the average.

We walked back to the hotel to find Ken and Janet on the internet.  I gave up waiting for a turn and went upstairs.  The bathroom in our room was especially well laid out and there was a magnifying mirror, which was very useful.  Then, after successfully working out how to turn the reading lights on, it was time for bed.

No response to “Baltics - 15 June 2012 (4)”

Post a Comment