Southern India - 15 February 2012 (3)


Mysore Sightseeing

Chamundi Hill from Mysore Palace
Governor's Palace, Mysore
Then we all got back on the bus, which climbed up Chamundi hill.  We made a brief stop halfway up and Lukose pointed out the British Governor’s Residence down below and the race course.

Chamundeswari Temple
Chamundeswari Temple, Spot the Macaque
Chamundeswari Temple sits at the top of the hill and we started to walk around it.  Its seven storey gopuram is very intricately carved, which made it very easy for a troop of macaques to climb all over it.  We soon caught up with a procession of women carrying fruit on their heads, led by men who were dancing.  They seemed happy enough to pause for photos.

Women in Procession
Men Dancing in Procession
I got carried away with taking photos of the macaques on the gopuram and lost the rest of the group.  I wandered around on my own for a while, but then spotted Lukose, who was waiting for Diane, Guilland, Chris and Jen to come out of a smaller temple, where they received blessings for a small fee.

Macaque Climbing Temple Gopuram
Macaque on Temple Gopuram
We caught up with the others and started to walk down a long long flight of steps.  We passed a family, sitting outside their house, just like we used to do in Peru.  The children waved to us, so I asked if we could take photos.  One little boy ran up to join in and fell over.  He didn’t cry, but the smallest girl cried on his behalf.  We left Steve, happily snapping away and continued down.

Macaque on Temple Gopuram
Cow with Painted Horns behind Temple
The steps were varied in height and depth, which meant that I had to concentrate hard, especially as they were also uneven.  I couldn’t look at the views of Mysore as my eyes were focused on the steps.  At one point, I caught up with the others as Lukose was pointing out the palace down below in the haze.  But they were off again while I was still taking photos, so I got behind again.  I was very pleased when Mike appeared behind me.  At least someone would know if I fell.

Family by Steps to Nandi Bull
Family by Steps
Eventually, we reached a huge Nandi bull.  Apparently it is 15 foot high and 24 foot wide and made out of a single piece of dark black granite.  It dates back to the 17th century – as do the steps.  We had to take our shoes off to be able to walk on the flat area immediately in front of him.

Nandi Bull
Someone tried to interest me in buying some of his metal trinkets.  A larger Ganesh statue started off at Rs600, but fell to Rs300 by the time I walked away.  I was tempted, but what would I do with it back home?

Next stop was the Kavery Silk Art and Crafts Emporium on the Nazarbad Main Road.  Here, people could buy silk and get it made up into an outfit to pick up the next day.  They also had ready-made outfits, plus scarves and similar items.  Kairan and Laurie were attending an Indian wedding back in the UK and wanted to buy something to wear.  They were successful and those who saw them trying the outfits on said that they looked great.  Laurie said that they cost over £300.  I was tempted and ended up buying a scarf which reduced my excess rupees by nearly 2,000.  Finally, when all purchases had been made, we set off back to the hotel.

Ambassador Car on Chamundi Hill
We had just 35 minutes to get ready for dinner at the Park Lane Hotel.  We went there by bus.  The restaurant was busy and the diners were serenaded by someone playing a sitar.  After the fiasco of lunch, we could only marvel at the way service was so efficient.  We were all given a number so that they could manage individual billing.  I was no.28.  I ordered an extra spicy meal which was very nice.  However, I had a mental block as it looked so much like meat with dark lumps.  The waiter reassured me that it was veggie and Jen looked at the menu and showed me that they didn’t have this type of curry with any meat, but I found it really difficult to eat and only managed to eat half.  I also had two fresh lime sodas.  Once again the meal was surprisingly cheap and cost me just Rs235.  As a final flourish, they brought our bills in silver caskets and the change came very quickly.

Then we headed back to the hotel for a not very early night.

No response to “Southern India - 15 February 2012 (3)”

Post a Comment