Baltics - 20 June 2012 (5)

Running Amok in Kuressaare

Sightseeing finally done, it was time to head for Kuressaare.  We drove through the town, where Aija pointed out the yellow town hall, the weigh house and the castle.  We finished at the Hotel Staadioni.

As its name suggests, the hotel is right next to the sports ground, with its running track, football nets and rusting hurdles.  There were some outdoor tennis courts and they were building a wooden structure to house an indoor court.  Our room was upstairs and there was no lift, but I managed OK with my case.

Ecstasy is a Crème Brûlée - or Two!
Soon after, we met downstairs and headed off for dinner at La Perla.  It was quite a walk as we were on the outskirts of town.

I sat with Charlie, Susie, Sarah, Ann and Bob.  I ordered penne arrabiata, which had a real kick to it.  It was probably the best meal of the holiday.  Feeling flush now we were back to Euros, I decided to have some wine and ended up sharing a bottle with Charlie.  The girls had prosecco.  When it came to desserts, I decided to have two crème brulées.  Charlie took a series of photos of me enjoying them.  Then we realised Sarah was also double-jointed like me, so we got some silly photos of us doing that too.

Kuressaare Castle at 23.00
Kuressaare Castle at 23.00
By then, most people had left, including Ann and Bob, so we asked Ian to join us.  When we had paid (mine was just under €20), we moved on to Classic Café.  It was empty, so we took over a cosy corner with couches.  This time, Ian and I shared a bottle of wine.  As usual when Ian and Charlie were together, there were lots of jokes and laughing – not helped by me being a bit squidgy.  Susie lent me her phone to send an email, but I couldn’t work the touch screen so I ended up dictating it.  Later I started to worry what I had said…

Paragliding in Kuressaare at 23.00
Eventually we took pity on the poor boys behind the bar, who probably had thought they were getting an early night before we showed up.

It was still light outside as we walked back, although it was after 23.00.   We weren't the only ones to take advantage of the light evening - someone was paragliding above us.  We did some silly things for the camera as we walked past the castle and through the park, but we made it home with no problems.

Luckily, May was still awake and reading when I got in.

No response to “Baltics - 20 June 2012 (5)”

Post a Comment