Baltics - 20 June 2012 (3)

Meteor Hit!

Nest Rebuilding
Then we drove across the Väinatamm causeway to Saaremaa.  This is the largest causeway in Estonia and was opened in 1896.

Main Crater, Kaali
First stop was Kaali.  It was now 14.45, so lunch was the priority and we went to the Kaali Tavern.  My lunch was just fresh raw vegetables, so it came quickly and I had eaten it before May had even got her meal.  I asked if the others on the table – May, Janet and Roberta – would mind me leaving them.  They said “no” so I escaped.

Main Crater, Kaali
Kaali is famous for its craters caused when a meteor hit about 4,000 years ago.  There are nine craters: a large main one, and the rest caused by fragments and scattered around in private land.  I set off, eager to see the main crater.

On the way, I saw a house martin, rebuilding its nest under the eaves of a building.  It looked as if an older nest had fallen off as I could still see the outline.  The poor thing must have lost its eggs or chicks.

Main Crater, Kaali
The crater was amazing and so beautiful.  It was surrounded by trees and there was a green pond at the bottom, which reflected the trees above.  The rim was higher than the surrounding ground because of the earth which was displaced from the impact.

I climbed down to the lake and found a clean rock to sit on beside the water’s edge.  No one else was about, except for Tan who was walking on the far side of the crater, so the only sound was the birds singing.  Then a small fish popped up to eat an insect.  I could have sat there for hours, but it was nearly 16.00 – “back on the bus” time – so I thought I should try to find the others.

Der Kleine Mann, Main Crater, Kaali
Flo in Main Crater, Kaali
As I was climbing up, a German couple arrived.  I said that you needed a person to stand by the water, to give an idea of how large the crater was in any photos.  The husband helpfully set off down the steps where he could be “der kleine Mann”.  His wife and I had a good laugh and snapped away.

When I got back to the restaurant, everyone was gathered outside, waiting for the final people to pay their bills.  David and Dulcie had been sitting outside and their meal had arrived very late.

Aija rescheduled “back on the bus” time and we all set off for the crater.  Aija said that, if you walked all around the rim, you could make a wish.  Not having done that, I set off.  Flo was walking down in the crater, so I could get her in my photos for perspective.

Huge Fish, Main Crater, Kaali
Walking Round Rim of Main Crater, Kaali
When I met Ian coming the other way, he pointed out the fish in the middle of the lake.  When I had sat on my rock earlier, I had thought they were a water lily or similar in the centre.  Now they had split up and were swimming around.  They were huge.  Further on, I met Craig, also coming the other way.  He kindly took a photo for me.

I was one of the last to complete my circuit and then it really was time to get back on the bus.

No response to “Baltics - 20 June 2012 (3)”

Post a Comment