Southern India - 9 February 2012 (1)


Madurai - Flower Market and Palace

Blooms Spread Out for Sale
Ladies Selling Bags of Blooms
Flower Sellers and Me





Gentlemen Selling Bags of Blooms
Gentleman Selling Bags of Blooms

Bag of Blooms
Dried Leaves for Thatching
Garlands for Sale
Making Garlands for Sale




Me Wearing Some of My Presents
We left the hotel at 0830 and set off for the flower market.  It was fun walking round.  The traders were happy for us to take photos and some gave us flowers.  At one stall, they gave me a straw headband and attached a couple of flowers.  I passed a stall which just sold banana leaves.  I asked if they were used for thatching and they said yes, but they might not have understood.  Very few of the flowers had stems as they were mostly used for garlands and offerings.  Some people were just selling flower buds.  Most purchases were sold by weighing out the flowers.  When we met up before getting back on the bus, Diane got carried away and put all the flowers I had been given into my headband.
Courtyard in Thirumalai Nayakkar Mahal

Then we headed off to the palace - the Thirumalai Nayakkar Mahal.  I was probably dehydrated because I began to feel dizzy and about to throw up or worse.



Decoration in Courtyard
Throne in Palace
The palace started with an open courtyard which was full of seats as if for a concert or a conference.  The walls were very ornate and the holes in the decorations were used by parrots and other birds for nesting sites.

Design on Ceiling above Throne
Statue Room Thirumalai Nayakkar Mahal   
The next room contained little more than a throne.  I got on the floor and lay on my back to take a photo of a decoration on the ceiling.  I did spot a notice saying “Do not write on the columns. Punishment.” Despite that, there was quite a bit of graffiti and, by the writing, done by Indians.  Perhaps they couldn’t read the notice.  A room off to the side contained more bronze statues, similar to those in Tanjore.

Bronze Statues
Bronze Statue
On the way into the palace, a little old lady accosted me and sold me five small silk shoulderbags.  When I came out, she accosted me again, together with her daughter, and they sold me four anklets.




My Favourite Purse & Bracelet Seller
Overloaded Lorry
Sari Guard on Motorbike
Our Rickshaw Driver
Then Lukose put all of us on cycle rickshaws and we headed in convoy to the Sree Meenakshi Temple.  We passed some interesting traffic,  including a lorry packed high with cardboard boxes, with two men sitting on top.  On previous visits to India, I had been worried about women catching their saris in the wheels of motorbikes, but I got a good view of a sari guard to protect them, which was a big relief.  Having disembarked from our rickshaws, we walked to the shoe deposit place. A picture of Diana, Princess of Wales caught our eye.  She was advertising “salwar and nightwear”, which I am not sure was entirely appropriate.
A Somewhat Controversial Advert!

No response to “Southern India - 9 February 2012 (1)”

Post a Comment