Egypt - 13 October 2010 (2)


The Pyramids
Policeman on Camel
Solar Boat
The pyramids were exceedingly touristy and security was high.  We had to get off the bus and pass through a metal detector while our bags were x-rayed.  I was not that impressed as there was nothing to stop us leaving things on the bus and taking them with us the next time we got off.  As it was, the intense heat meant that I gradually left more and more on the bus each time I got off.  By the end, I was taking a real risk by leaving my money belt and handbag and only carrying my camera.

Solar Boat
Great Pyramid of Khufu from Solar Boathouse
Most of us wanted to see the Solar Boat, built to allow the Pharaoh to sail the solar currents to take him to the afterlife.  Moaw took us to the entrance where, for E£50, we were treated to a pair of enormous slippers, air-conditioning and a view of a huge wooden boat which had been found under large slabs of limestone just beside the pyramid.  The building housing the solar boat is made of glass and is right next to the Great Pyramid of Khufu, which dominates the view from the window as you proceed along the walkways around the boat.  The walkways allow you to walk the length of the boat and around the back.  Unfortunately, the viewing point at the far end is not quite far enough away to get a photo of the whole of the boat.

Small Pyramid
Small Pyramid
After enjoying the boathouse, I had to head out into the heat to see the pyramids.  Pyramids are just too big to be photographed.  Too close and you do not get the full view; too far and there is nothing to give perspective to show just how big they are.  After a few attempts, I satisfied myself with the small pyramids which lie around the Great Pyramid of Khufu.  I also used my zoom lens to sneak a few shots of camels.

Ruins of Ancient Temple
Young Girls
I went behind the small pyramids and walked down to the site of an ancient temple.  There was rubble all around.  At the bottom, I encountered a group of very young girls, all wearing headscarves.  They seemed so proud, as if they were only just considered old enough to do so.  They did get annoying as one of them kept trying to touch my hair.

Camel Ride Anyone?
Pyramids of Khafre and Menkaure plus One
Even more annoying were the camel riders, trying to entice us to fork out for a camel ride.  Even if I had wanted to, I would not have had enough time, but they were so persistent.  I tried the accepted wisdom of ignoring them and just walked on, but one followed me past the Pyramid of Khafre and almost to the Pyramid of Menkaure.

Pyramid of Menkaure plus One
Great Pyramid of Khofu & Pyramid of Khafre
I finally shook him off and then hit a problem because a security guard would not allow me to take the shortest route back to the bus because it passed too near to Menkaure.  So I had to retrace my steps and scramble over some rubble.  My sandals, which had previously been so wonderful, were starting to cause problems and I had to keep shaking the sand out.  I finally made it back to the bus, but I was the last person to do so.

3 Small Pyramids beyond Menkaure
Great Sphinx
Our next stop was a viewing point where we got good views of no less than six pyramids – the three large ones plus three smaller ones beyond Menkaure.  Unfortunately, the view also included the tour buses making their way up to the view point.  All the usual stalls and souvenir sellers were there and it was difficult to get to the front row to take photos.  I was really starting to appreciate the emptiness of the sites in Libya and Tunisia!

Great Sphinx & Pyramid of Khafre
We were back on the bus again to see the Great Sphinx.  By this time, the sun was behind the Sphinx, so its face was in shadow.  The Sphinx is approached through a temple.  This meant that the viewing place was quite a confined space and it was exceedingly difficult to get a good, unobstructed view.

When we left the Sphinx, we found that the bus had moved on.  There was quite a long walk to reach it, but at last we got on board and headed to the hotel.

No response to “Egypt - 13 October 2010 (2)”

Post a Comment